Our emergency veterinarian in Omaha has experience with an array of toxic ingestion cases in cats, dogs and other pets. Some of the most common causes of accidental poisonous ingestion in pet include:
Insecticides & Pesticides: Roach and rodent baits are temping for cats to play with and for pups to lick, and pests that are poisoned can actually poison your pet if ingested. Insecticides such as snail eradicators that contain organophosphates are particularly dangerous when consumed.
Antifreeze: One of the top causes of allergic and toxic reactions in pets is antifreeze, likely because it’s present in most homes and it has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs in particular.
Household Cleansers & Chemicals: Things ranging from laundry supplies and hygiene implements to that seemingly harmless basket of potpourri can post a toxic threat if consumed.
Foods: Some lesser quality store bought foods contain byproducts that some pets have allergic reactions to, and many dogs and cats don’t process or digest human foods well. While grapes, chocolate and onions are well known no-no’s, but other toxic foods include xylitol, coffee grounds, rhubarb, alcohol and raw dough.
Toxic House Plants: Tulips, sago palms, hyacinths, poinsettias, amaryllis and several types of lilies are just a few house plants known to be toxic to pests. Do your gardening research before planting!
Human Medications: Ibuprofen and acetaminophen have caused numerous pet fatalities, and no type of human medicines should be given to pets. Consult an emergency veterinarian in Omaha right away if your pet accessed your stash of human drugs.
Toxic Mushrooms: If your pet spends time outdoors, there’s a chance they may encounter wild mushrooms and even plants that are toxic and/or psychotropic, and they need to get emergency care immediately.