Tips on How to Keep Your Pet Cool This Summer
Summertime is almost here, which means that we’ll soon be faced with the heat of the season. While humans have our own perspiration system to deal with the heat, our pets lack the ability to sweat. It’s easy for our beloved canines and felines to overheat during the summer. If you are a pet owner who cares about your pet’s state of health, here are some precautions to take in order to cool off your pet during the summer.
- Utilize water to cool off the pet. Provide wet towels throughout the day. Use the backyard hose to lightly spray your wet with cool water. You can even use a backyard pool for cooling off.
- Make sure that the pet stays hydrated. Dehydration is a health concern that pet owners should worry about during summertime. Constantly fill the pet’s water bowl in order to ensure adequate hydration. You can also add ice cubes. Another way to hydrate your pet is by making frozen dog treats. DIY frozen recipes for dog treats, smoothies, and dog ice cream recipes can be found by a simple Google search.
- Create an outside environment that protects your pet from the sun. Planting trees and setting up awnings will create a shading area for your pet to cool off during the day.
- Only play or exercise with your pet during the cool hours of the day. Animals are more at risk of developing heatstroke or dehydration during the hottest hours of the day. Dusk and dawn are the ideal times to exercise your pet.
- Check for danger signs and symptoms. If an animal is displaying unusual behavior, he or she may be experiencing a heatstroke. Look out for heavy panting, excessive thirst, disorientation, and loss of consciousness. If the pet is showing any of these symptoms, take him or her to an emergency veterinarian in Millard and Omaha right away.
Contact Our Local Veterinarian Today
Need emergency care from a vet? Urgent Pet Care Omaha is happy to assist you. Call at 402-991-9444 to get in contact with our Omaha office.