If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

Rat Poison Consumption and Treatment from our Veterinarians in Omaha and Millard, NE

Just the smallest amount of rat poison can be lethal to your pet. Dogs find the taste of rat poison very appealing, which makes rat poison very easy for dogs to find and eat.

Rat poison contains ingredients that cause severe illness in whatever animal eats it. Our emergency veterinarians in Millard and Omaha, NE, can treat rat poisoning in pets and make sure your pet gets the attention it needs after toxic ingestion.

black french bulldog with thermometer in mouth and ice pack on head who is sick after eating rat poision

Why Rat Poison is Toxic for Pets

Rat poison is a rodenticide, which is a product containing chemicals that kill rodents. There are several types of rodenticide.

Anticoagulants

Anticoagulants kill by changing the way the body uses vitamin K, which is responsible for clotting blood. Internal bleeding occurs. It may take a few days for signs of poisoning to occur.

Bromethalin

Bromethalin increases sodium, or salt, in body cells. The excess sodium causes body cells to swell and die. The toxic effects can affect any cell, but usually affect cells of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Consuming large amounts of this type of rat poison is rapidly fatal; eating small amounts of it will cause signs of toxicity that appear over one to two weeks.

Cholecalciferol

Cholecalciferol increases the level of calcium in the body. Excess calcium causes kidney failure, heart problems and possibly death. Signs may not develop for 12 to 36 hours after ingestion.

Symptoms of Rat Poison Ingestion

Symptoms of rat poisoning ingestion vary according to the type of poison ingested, but can include:

  • Bleeding from the gums
  • Bloody nose
  • Collapse
  • Coma
  • Coughing up blood
  • Death
  • Decreased or increased thirst or urination
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Bad breath
  • Loss of appetite
  • Kidney failure
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Seizures
  • Swelling or bumps on the skin
  • Tremors
  • Vomiting
  • Vomiting blood
  • Weight loss

Contact our Millard and Papillion Veterinarians for Rat Poison Treatment

If you are worried that your pet has eaten rat poison, contact Urgent Pet Care in Omaha. Our trusted Omaha and Millard emergency veterinarians provide the urgent pet care you rely on for the health and welfare of your four-legged friends. Urgent Pet Care has two convenient Omaha locations. To contact our Papillion emergency veterinarians, call 402-597-2911. To contact our Millard emergency veterinarians, call 402-991-9444.