Easter is a joyous time for our families, but it can be a day full of dangers for our dogs and cats. Taking a few precautions can help you avoid a visit to the pet emergency hospital on Easter day. The two biggest emergencies we see at Urgent Pet Care in Omaha and Papillion is chocolate ingestion in dogs and lily ingestion in cats.
Like us, our dogs love chocolate and will seek the chocolate out. A small amount of chocolate for your dog could prompt an unscheduled trip to the emergency vet hospital. Chocolate in small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Chocolate eaten at toxic levels can cause hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest. Dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate pose the most risk to your pet, with milk chocolate, and white chocolate posing less of a risk depending on the amounts eaten.
What should you do if your dog ingest chocolate, immediately call Urgent Pet Care in Omaha or Papillion. We will need to know your dog’s weight, the type of chocolate ingested, the amount ingested, and how long ago the ingestion occurred. We will be able to advise you if your dog has eaten a toxic dose and what treatment may be necessary.
We rarely think about the new bouquets we place on our tables, but cats just have to taste all new plants we bring into the home. All lilies including Easter lilies, daylily, tiger lily, and Asian lilies that are commonly used in holiday bouquets are deadly in cats and dogs. The first signs seen are vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite, tremors, and seizures. Kidney failure usually follows with increased thirst, no urination, dehydration, and then death. Kidney failure can occur as quickly as 36 -72 hours after ingestion.
What should you do if your pet ingests any part of a lily plant. Immediately call Urgent Pet Care, getting treatment quickly gives your pet the best chance of survival.
Leave A Comment